Frequently Asked Questions
For any questions or comments regarding our services, amenities, accommodations, or facilities provided, please contact our Operational Manager, Mr. Nyoman Martana. Email email@example.com or mobile number +62 821 450 071 61.
- BANK - ATM SERVICES
- I HEAR ROOSTERS VERY EARLY IN THE MORNING, WHAT CAN YOU DO?
- THERE IS A SMALL LIZARD ON THE CEILING OF MY BEDROOM, WHAT SHOULD I DO?
- WHERE CAN I GET PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL HELP?
- CAN I PURCHASE MEDICINE IN BALI?
- WHAT SHOULD I BRING FROM HOME?
- CAN YOU EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENS ON NYEPI DAY EXACTLY?
- HOW CAN I SUBSCRIBE/UNSUBSCRIBE FOR THE NEWSLETTER?
- EXCHANGE RATE
- VILLAS KEY
- WAKE-UP SERVICE
- WATER DISPENSER
QUESTIONS ABOUT OUR RESORT
- DOES THE GRIYA OFFER PARKING IF I COME WITH A PRIVATE CAR?
- WHICH AMENITIES DOES YOUR HOTEL OFFER?
- HOUSEKEEPING SERVICE
- DOES YOUR RESORT OFFER LAUNDRY SERVICES?
- MINI BARS
- SAFETY BOX
- MAIN SWIMMING POOL
QUESTIONS ABOUT BABIES, CHILDREN & PETS
QUESTIONS ABOUT OUR LOCATION AND THE AREA OF AMED
- WHAT ARE THE BEACHES LIKE AROUND AMED?
- IS THERE A BEACH NEAR BY AND ARE WE ALLOWED TO USE IT?
- WHERE IS THE BEST SNORKELING IN AMED AND HOW FAR IS IT FROM THE GRIYA?
- WHAT ARE THE WATER TEMPERATURES?
- WHAT IS THE BEST TIME OF YEAR TO VISIT BALI?
- WHAT KIND OF SHOPPING CAN I DO IN AMED?
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE BOOKING PROCESS & OUR RATES
- WHAT IS INCLUDED IN YOUR ROOM RATES?
- WHICH ARE THE BENEFITS FROM BOOKING DIRECTLY WITH YOUR WEBSITE/RESERVATION TEAM AS OPPOSED TO ONLINE OR THROUGH A TRAVEL AGENT
- WE LIVE IN BALI/INDONESIA AND ARE KITAS HOLDERS, DO YOU OFFER SPECIAL ADVANTAGES FOR US?
- WHAT ARE YOUR "TERMS & CONDITIONS" FOR BOOKING A ROOM/VILLA?
QUESTIONS REGARDING FOOD & DRINKS
- DOES YOUR RESORT OFFER A RESTAURANT?
- DO YOUR OFFER ROOM SERVICE?
- IS THERE A SELF-SERVICE COFFEE/TEA SERVICE IN THE VILLA?
- IS BREAKFAST INCLUDED IN MY ROOM RATE?
- CAN WE HAVE THE BREAKFAST SERVED FOR FREE TO OUR ROOM?
- DO YOU OFFER HAPPY HOUR?
QUESTIONS ABOUT HONEYMOON & WEDDINGS
Bank - ATM Services
We have several ATM’s here, which are fully functional. None of them are inside a bank. The nearest ATM is in Bunutan in the front of Adi Shop, located 2 minutes drive from us, or 10 minutes on foot.
It’s true; you’ll most probably hear the roosters and it might still be dark. What makes staying in Amed so special, is that this is still the real Bali. We are surrounded with real village life, which means you’re most likely to encounter fishermen returning home with their catch of the day, farmers walking their cows to the nearest green pasture, kids going to school and chickens crossing the roads without prior notice. It’s what authentic Bali is rally about. Unfortunately, we can’t stop the roosters from practicing their early morning vocal talents… If you switch on the air conditioning and close the sliding doors, you should be able to doze off again. Unless you want to get up and watch the absolutely stunning sunrise above the island of Lombok. It’s the silver lining...!
There is a small lizard on the ceiling of my bedroom, what should I do?
"Gecko" is the common name for any of about 65 species of small lizards. They are unique among lizards in their ability to make chirping or clicking sounds. The name "gecko" is a derivative of a Malay word that is an imitation of a lizard's call.
These little house geckos are great little exterminators. Unless you are overrun with them, they are worth having around. Here are a few facts for you
- Geckos are a very common occurrence under the tropics; as much as spiders are in our Western houses
- Geckos are predators of pest insects and spiders as well, which is why they are so useful
- The vast majority of the time, they stay on the ceiling or on the highest part of the walls, close to the ceiling
- They won't die in your room, nor will it hang around long if it isn't finding bugs and mosquitoes to eat
- If by chance you should find it on your bed, it isn't going to stay, nor do they like to snuggle with humans and they certainly don't approach humans on purpose
- They are extremely unlikely to want to share your bed with you and will never bother you while sleeping
- These critters are a never ever a nuisance to humans unless you think of them as such
- We ask you not to try to harm them, as they are totally harmless to you
- Try to accept them as part of the typical, tropical "landscape"
Where can I get professional medical help?
In the event of an emergency, medical or otherwise, please contact the Front Desk for immediate attention.
A complimentary stock of medicines for minor complaints such as headaches, scratches and stomach upsets are kept at our Reception. If you feel you need to see a doctor please contact our reception or security staff and arrangements will be made. English speaking doctor is available. Emergency number 115/118.
The BaliMed Hospital www.balimedhospital.co.id is the closest from where we are located, that offers 24/7 medical care with Western standards. It is located about an hour away from The Griya and this is where we recommend you to go in case of need for medical care. For minor problems or injuries, we have several doctors in the area that we can take you to.
Can I purchase medicine in Bali?
Yes, there are pharmacies in Bali. They offer the most common drugs, such as antibiotics, anti diarrhea, cold and flu remedies. If you are bringing medicine to Bali make sure you have a prescription from your doctor on the label. The closest pharmacy ("apotek" in the local language) to Amed is located in Amlapura, which is an hour drive from us. In the small shops around The Griya you can purchase over the counter drugs such as aspirin, anti diarrhea, cold and flu remedies, Norit (activated charcoal), etc....
What should I bring from home?
- Long sleeve rash guard and shorts to protect your skin against sunburn when you’re in the ocean
- Your own pair of water shoes to protect your feet on some of our rocky beaches
- Any medication that is not found over the counter here in Bali
- An electric adaptor (see question "What Sockets and Plugs to use in Bali?")
Nyepi Day: what is this exactly?
Contrary to several other cultures all around the world who celebrate the New Year with dynamic and sparkling festivities, the crowning point of the Balinese New Year’s 6 day celebration, is a day dedicated to complete silence. Hence this day is called Nyepi, meaning "to keep silent" and falls on the day after the dark moon of the Spring equinox when the day and night are of approximately equal duration.
On that specific day, the entire Island of Bali comes to a standstill, with no scheduled incoming or outgoing flights from Ngurah Rai airport in Denpasar (DPS). Hotel guests are asked to cover their windows and all shops are closed. Yes, all! No light or candle will be lit in any Balinese home, no cars or trucks will be allowed on the road. Nor motorbikes. Nor people. It's indeed a special experience, not only for the Balinese but also for all the visitors and tourists that are on Bali during Nyepi Day.
PS In 2017, Nyepi will be celebrated on March 28th. If you wish to stay with us at that time, you will be required to check-in at the latest the day before (March 27) and you can only check-out on Match 28th, after 6pm. Hence we strongly recommend you to consider Nyepi Day as a stay-in day, and not plan any excursion or activity outside of the resort. It’s the perfect day to catch up on some much needed naps, or read a book, and of course, pamper yourself in our amazing Spa.
Want to read up more about Nyepi Day? Follow this link www.bali.com/nyepi-day-of-silence.html.
How can I subscribe/unsubscribe for the newsletter?
You will find a link on the bottom right part of our homepage, where you can subscribe for our newsletter or you can directly follow this link. If you wish to unsubscribe in the future, you will find a link at the bottom of each Newsletter.
We use the exchange rate based on the official daily-published rate, which we take from www.xe.com, The World's Trusted Currency Authority.
In cash, we accept Indonesian rupiah (IDR) as well as all major currencies. We accept Visa and Master Card only and they are subject to 3% Bank and Service fee.
We will be happy to arrange for transport service or make recommendations concerning your transportation needs. Just reach out to us through our Front Office Team to inquire about specific needs regarding transportation.
Should you lose your Villa key, kindly notify our Front Office Team immediately to guarantee your security. For lost key there is a charge of 100,00 USD. Please return your key to the Front Desk upon check-out.
If you would like a wake-up call, please notify our Front Desk clerk.
A water Dispenser with safe and healthy is available in the living room and water is complimentary. It will offer you a choice of hot or iced water.
If you would like to tip our staff, we do provide a tipping box at the reception and all tips will be share equally to all staff during Balinese holiday.
Questions about our resort
Does The Griya offer parking if I come with a private car?
Yes, we offer a private, secured and free parking lot for our guests, located right next to our Reception entrance. Your car can safely stay there overnight. Should the parking area be full, there are also parking spaces free of charge around the hotel.
Which Amenities does your hotel offer?
The hotel can provide baby cribs and rollaway beds with advance notice. We also have a supply of often forgotten travel necessities, such as shampoo, conditioner, toothbrush etc. For guest convenient a new bottles and amenities stone are available for sell as handicraft, please call our Reception for details and availability.
Your villa will be cleaned and maintained every day of your stay. You may call our Housekeeping department for an early room make-up service, extra linens, towels, or blankets. Also, the daily turn down service starts at 6pm.
Does your resort offer Laundry services?
Laundry service is available. Please fill out the form located in your villa and place your laundry in the bag provided. Laundry received at reception before 9.30am will be returned (weather permitting), during the same day, or call Housekeeping to pick it up.
By default, we will restock your Mini Bar on a daily basis and automatically charge your room bill at restaurant prices for all your consumptions. You will find the Mini Bar price list in your Villa kitchen.
Every Villa comes with a Personal Safety Box. We kindly recommend to not leaving money or valuables in your room. The resort cannot be held responsible for the loss of articles unless properly secured in the safety deposit box located in your villa.
Main Swimming Pool
You are very welcome to use our main swimming pool, even if you are not staying at The Griya. For non-Villa guests, we request that you spend a minimum of 75K IDR net while you use the pool. You will be given a complimentary pool towel as well as drinking water. All children below the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult guardian or parent. Pool hours are 800 am until 800 pm.
Questions about babies, children & pets
What is your baby/child policy
Children aged 0-5 are free of charge when sharing the parent’s bed. The infant cot/crib is provided free of charge if required.
Do you accept pets in the resort?
We have had several guests staying with their favorite dog in our resort, which is totally fine for us. We are actually animal lovers ourselves! Your beloved four-legged friends are very welcome provided two conditions.
- They do not destroy anything in the villa or elsewhere in the resort
- They are kept on a leash while in the resort at all times (except in the privacy or your villa)
- They do not represent a problem for other guests such as excessive barking, aggressive behavior, or cause any problem with other guests especially with young children
- You do not use our beautiful gardens and planting decorations for their toilet needs
Please note that for hygienic reasons pets are not allowed in our Spa area and cannot sit on the sunbeds by the pool or on our Roof Top Lounge chairs.
Questions about our location and the area of Amed
What are the beaches like around Amed?
Because Amed is located practically at the feet of Gunung Agung - Bali’s highest (but inactive) volcano - many of our beaches, with a few notable exceptions such as Lipah, Ibus and White Sand Beach, are covered in beautiful black sand. The area offers both sandy and rocky beaches. Whilst these stones are very round for the most part, and therefore not sharp, it’s wise to bring your own pair of water shoes to protect your feet when walking on the beach or entering the water.
Is there a beach near by and are we allowed to use it?
Yes, you are allowed to use any beach in the area of course, and there are many to choose from. The closest is Lipah Beach, a sandy beach that is in 10-15 min. walking distance. We also provide free rides with our car and driver. Our Front Office Staff can point out several other beaches, some with pebbles, some with rocks and more sandy ones; Amed offers a lovely choice of beaches.
Where is the best snorkeling in Amed and how far is it from The Griya?
Amed is a hotspot for scuba diving and snorkeling. You can snorkel from the beach directly, or from one of the typical fisherman’s outriggers called "jukungs".
- Snorkeling directly from the beach we have at least three beaches you can do that from Lipah (in very short walking distance from The Griya), Jemeluk Bay and Banyuning (where the Japanese Shipwreck is located). We offer free transport to and back to either of them, and you can rent snorkeling gear from us directly. There’s no need for a guide as you enter from the shore and the coral reefs are very close to the beach and thus easy to find.
- Snorkeling tour from jukung, which you will find in our "Activities Menu". The boat captain will take you to the snorkeling sites and wait there for you. The bonus of a boat trip is that you get to see the stunning hills and beaches of Amed from the ocean; it’s our favorite way to snorkel in Amed!
What are the water temperatures?
Water temperatures vary between 26 and 29°C all year round, so no need for a wetsuit; however, you may want to bring a long sleeve rash guard and shorts to protect your skin against sunburn.
What is the best time of year to visit Bali?
Bali is approximately 8 degrees South of the equator. So you can expect a tropical, warm and humid climate all year around with two main distinctive seasons Dry Season and Rainy Season (January through March). The two seasons are not clear cut and fully predictable. Average year-round temperature stands at around 26-27°C with a humidity level of about 85-90%. Water temperatures are always pleasant.
The Griya is located in Amed, on Bali’s East coast, which is known as the driest part of Bali, so we typically receive much less rainfall than others parts of the island.
Best time to visit Bali depends mainly on the weather and on high and low season, which does affect the overall price for all accommodation throughout. High season is during the months of July and August, during Easter Holidays, and of course during Christmas/New Year (Mid December till 1st week of January). However best time to come to Bali is between April and October. It's still dry season, it's slightly less humid. Temperatures are pretty steady all year round. One can still expect occasional rainfall though and sometimes even the locals are surprised how dry a week during rainy season can be and the other way around.
From January till end of March, it can rain in buckets. Although, usually the rain stops after a few hours and the sun shines again. A lot of the times it rains during the night and days are very OK. Very rarely you have a few days when it rains continuously. Like in all parts of the world, weather becomes more and more unpredictable so be open to the unexpected...
What kind of shopping can I do in Amed?
The entire Amed area and Bali’s East coast in general is Bali’s best kept secret, as it’s still very authentic. We cannot offer you any shopping malls close by; however there are a few small shops here and there that will enable you to buy some souvenirs. Also, there are shops that offer basic amenities and necessities as well as food, fruit, snacks and drinks.
In Culik, which is about 15min away by car offers a daily, traditional food market. In Amlapura, which would be 45min away, you’ll find more shops and also a bigger market. However, none of those places offer real Western shopping experience. Only Sanur, Denpasar and the West coast (Kuta, Legian, Seminyak) offer real shopping malls with the full range of Western shops and brands.
Questions about the booking process & our rates
What is included in your Room Rates?
The following benefits and features are always included in the rate we offer you.
- Villa with Private Infinity Pool offering a breathtaking 180 degree view over the Bali Sea, the island of Lombok and the nearby hills
- A refreshing welcome drink upon arrival at the Reception of The Griya Villas & Spa
- Daily Housekeeping service including evening turndown
- Daily "à-la-carte" breakfast served in our Safka Restaurant or in the intimacy of your Villa
- Complimentary hand selected tropical fruit & flower arrangement in your Villa, on the day of your arrival
- Complimentary free flow (equivalent of 19 liters) of still mineral water in the Villa
- Complimentary coffee and tea facilities in the Villa
- Complimentary Choice of DVD’s (movies) to watch and enjoy in the privacy of your Villa
- Free centralised Wi-Fi
- Free transportation to the beach for snorkeling and sun bathing
- Complimentary use of indoor Fitness Center and Sauna, and our common outdoor pool
- Free access to our Kids Playroom
- Complimentary parking if you come with your own means of transportation
- 20% Discount off our Channa Spa treatments when booking prior to your arrival
Which are the benefits from booking directly with your website/Reservation Team as opposed to online or through a travel agent
By making a direct booking with us, we commit to offering you a lower rate and/or better package than the lowest rate you will find on any online travel agent (Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, etc...)
Extra Benefits depending on the length of stay
- Min. 3 night stay Free transportation for pick up and drop off including airport transfer (Ngurah Rai International Airport – airport code DPS)
- 20% Discount off our Channa Spa treatments when booking prior to your arrival
We live in Bali/Indonesia and are Kitas holders, do you offer special advantages for us?
We are delighted to welcome our Expat community from Bali and beyond in Indonesia. These are the several benefits you get from us, as a Kitas holder
- Accommodation 10% off our website villa rates (upon availability and depending on our occupancy)
- Food & Drinks 21% discount (for the Kitas holder only)
- FREE use of our mountain bikes for 4 hours (max. 2 bikes available) per villa
- FREE rental of snorkeling equipment for 4 hours per villa
- Birthday come and eat on your Birthday with a Table of 4 and 1 will eat for free (drinks not included)
- Guests will have to show proof of Kitas
- The above-mentioned benefits are valid in conjunction with any other offer or contract
What are your "Terms & Conditions" for booking a room/villa?
- Our rates are subject to 21% prevailing Government Tax and % Service and subject to change without prior notice
- The above mentioned rates are NON REFUNDABLE, NO CANCELLATION RATES; "No Show" is subject to 100% of total amount of the amount due
- The package is valid for the above mentioned number of guests
- Rooms are subject to availability and advance reservations are required
- Not valid in conjunction with other promotions and discounts
- Dining credit if mentioned, can be used at all F&B outlets including in-room dining; however, they cannot be used in conjunction with other promotions or discounts
- Unused package elements are non-refundable and non-transferable; no credits will be issued for unused package components
- Early departure fees may apply
- Rates are subject to change
- All offers are subject to availability at the time of reservation
- Offers are not valid in conjunction with any other offer or contract and do not apply to groups, unless otherwise stated
Questions regarding Food & Drinks
Does your resort offer a restaurant?
Yes, The Griya Villas and Spa proudly features our award-winning restaurant, Safka Restaurant, which is located by our Main Infinity Pool. It’s a great and beautiful open outdoor space with equally beautiful views. We serve a fresh and vibrant "à-la-carte" menu that features both your Indonesian and Western cuisines’ favorites. The perfect way to end your day in the paradise!
Do your offer Room Service?
Yes we do and we call it Villa Service. We offer a specific menu for guests desiring food and drinks delivered to their villa. The Room Service is available 24/7 and offers a simplified menu from our extended Safka Restaurant menu.
Is there a self-service Coffee/Tea Service in the villa?
Coffee service is available and complementary (Nescafe) in your room. Special Malongo coffee is available with a choice of 5 different flavors for an additional charge; you can refer to our minibar list in the villa for prices.
Is breakfast included in my room rate?
Yes, our "A-la-carte" breakfast is always included in our rates.
Can we have the breakfast served for free to our room?
"A-la-carte" breakfast is always included in our rates and yes, we offer room service for breakfast without any surcharge.
Do you offer Happy Hour?
Yes, we are proud to offer Happy Hour daily from 5 till 7 pm. Our Happy Hour menu offers "Buy 1 – Get 1 Free" on practically all our assortment of cocktails and drinks.
Questions about Honeymoon & Weddings
Are there any special surprises for honeymooners?
We absolutely love having honeymooners stay with us and we strongly believe that The Griya is an excellent and very adequate venue for lovebirds from all over the world. We will surprise you with Honeymoon decoration in the Villa as well as chocolates and Flower arrangement in your Villa.
We also offer two packages for Honeymooners
- The Perfect Honeymoon Package 3 Nights/4 Days
- The Romantic Hideaway Package 4 Nights/5 Days
You will find all the details and inclusions here http//www.thegriya.com/package. Let us know which one would suit you best and we will send you an official quote. We can also combine two packages into one quote, depending on what you would like to focus on outdoor activities, spa, chill and relax time, cultural visits, etc...We offer a lot of flexibility to adapt to your specific needs and expectations.
Last but not least, we work closely with locally based professional photographers who offer private portrait sessions. You will return home with a gorgeous portfolio of professional, beautifully enhanced High Resolution ‘picture perfect’ photographs to ensure that your special memories from your wonderful and "wonderfilled" honeymoon in Bali never fade with time!